Health & Safety Officer
Start Your Journey at GES
To manage and monitor the organisations health and safety policy to ensure the organisation is compliant with health and safety legislation and reduce and prevent hazards, dangers and accidents.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To continuously review and assess the company’s HSE arrangements, in line with OHSAS 45001/ISO14001 to ensure continued certification.
- To take responsibility for preparation of HSE and ISO audits
- To investigate accidents, identify root cause, and ensure all documentation is updated and any learning outcomes are fed back into organisation.
- Manage employers liability insurance claims database and files, being a point of contact for insurance brokers, solicitors and loss adjusters.
- Provide support and expertise to line management in incident investigation and reporting (including dangerous occurrences and occupational diseases
Hazard Identification and Risk Control
- Undertakes and facilitates all forms of risk assessment e.g. general, manual handling, COSHH, fire prevention, machinery and acts as a final authority where a specialist response is required in relation to risk assessments performed by others on site.
- Develop and maintain safe working procedures for all machinery and processes onsite (new or existing).
- Carry out inspections on facilities; machinery and safety equipment to highlight potential hazards, to access risks of these hazards, and address any potential hazards avoid workplace accidents or incidents.
- Manage and control all HSE systems to ensure the required weekly, monthly and annual procedures are correctly implemented and on schedule.
- Conducts occupational health and safety related surveys e.g. noise, lighting, exposure to chemical substances and makes associated recommendations.
- Ensure that emergency preparedness and response plans are developed, documented, implemented and tested.
- To organise periodical employee health surveillance and communicate finding
- Monitors the Site “permit-to-work” system to ensure compliance with Company standards.
- Ensure that all contractors are approved to work onsite having completed the HSE Commitment Questionnaire and supplied the relevant supporting documentation
Policy & Legal Compliance
- Responsible for monitoring HSE performance, identifying and taking proactive measures to improve performance shortfalls.
- Develop and implement policies in line with HSE Legislation. Ensure HSE policies are in place, communicated and enforced.
- Implement environmental initiatives to conserve natural resources and minimize the environmental impact of waste generation and energy consumption.
- Ensure HSE documentation is effectively maintained and updated
- Ensure that effective medical, first aid, occupational health facilities, resources, equipment and consumables are provided and maintained at all offices and work areas
- Organise and facilitate training, drills and exercises for emergency preparedness and response (first aid, fire, spillages, WAH, etc).
- Co-ordinate statutory inspection, LOLER, FGas, LEV, Compressor, Fire Systems, Electrical, etc.
- General NEBOSH or safety training Certificate.
- At least 3 years experience in a Health, Safety, Management Role to include Risk Management, Method Statement Review, Site inspections and investigations, company preparation for audits, compliance and maintenance of relevant standards, Risk Assessment experience.
- An knowledge and understanding of HSE legislation and best practices and the ability to interpret company and industry standards in order to pass on knowledge and requirements to others.
- Experience of maintaining HSE systems across a business
- Full working knowledge of Microsoft office to include day to day experience of excel sheets, excellent report writing skills, document management and presentation experience.
- HSE Management Systems H&S Management Accident Investigation OHSAS 18001 Health & Safety NEBOSH Environmental Management Systems